Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shimokitazawa



Shimokitazawa has been called cool, hip and indie, so naturally I had to check it out for myself. Located a few stops away from Shibuya, the neighborhood is a cluster of shopping, music and dining. Part of Shimokitazawa's charm is that it hasn't been taken over by the generic chain stores. No Uniqlo or Don Quixote, though I did spot a Suta-ba--what they call Starbucks here.


People waiting in line to buy takoyaki. The shop is on the left. If you don't want to wait in line, there are plenty of places to eat and drink in the neighborhood.


A very quaint antique toy store called Omurice. I wasn't allowed to take any pictures inside. Lots of clothing stores in Shimokitazawa and other places to spend your yen.


Neat store concept. People rent out a small box for 3000yen a month to sell their handmade crafts and accessories.


Dinner at Cowboy. The menu only has four dishes: A hamburger steak, the jumbo hamburger steak, chorizo sausages and chili con carne. I ordered the jumbo, 400 grams of beef covered in demi-glaze sauce with a small side of corn and potatoes and a plate of rice for 900 yen. Oh, what I would give for some barbeque sauce!


Shimokitazawa has some cool record shops and a bunch of places to hear live music. I went to the Daisy Bar, but the bands were so-so.
2800yen cover. Line-up: The Bohemians, The Suzan, Radio Foundation.


After the show, caught a photo with The Suzan. I think I'm being emasculated by the lead singer!

No comments: